Events and Programming Associate
Bryant Park Corporation and 34th Street Partnership seek an entry-level, full-time staff person for the Events Department. The two companies are award-winning not-for-profit Business Improvement Districts which share staff and offices, and a mission to improve the quality of the commercial, physical, and public space environments in each of their midtown Manhattan districts. Successful public spaces offer high-quality events and programming that draw people to the space and enrich the community.
Ideal candidates understand tight deadlines, are equally effective working independently and with groups, and are comfortable working on multiple projects simultaneously. The successful candidate will be expected to take on our mission quickly, to be comfortable working non-traditional hours, and to be confident in managing events onsite.
The expected start date for this position is early to mid-May. Office hours are officially 9am – 5:30pm, Monday - Friday. However, hours will go beyond the office due to the nature of event planning and production, and include early mornings, late nights, overnights, and weekends during our peak seasons.
This is an excellent opportunity to gain valuable experience working at a fast-paced office dedicated to making New York City safer, cleaner, and more engaging. The Events and Programming Associate can expect to take on real responsibilities from the start, work closely with both executive staff and park staff, and develop a network of contacts in related industries. This is an entry-level, full-time, salaried position with benefits.
- Assist in coordinating and executing Bryant Park’s 1000+ public summer programs and performances, which includes the iconic Film Festival, theater, dance, and other outdoor fitness classes, concerts, and tours
- Assist in the coordination of commercial, cultural, film and media events in the park
- Supervise large event load-ins/load-outs in the park, which may involve early morning, late night, overnight, and/or weekend hours
- Work extensively outdoors, interacting with park staff and event producers
- Respond to inquiries from potential event producers and guide them through the proposal process
- Extensive department administrative and research duties
- College graduate with academic or extracurricular experience in event planning; 1-2 years of experience in events at a public park, museum, performing arts center, or other cultural institution is preferred
- Strong writing, communication, and interpersonal skills
- Responsible and detail oriented, with excellent observational skills
- Outgoing, mature, and assertive, with a “no job too small” attitude
- Willingness, desire, and ability to get hands dirty
- Availability and willingness to work nights and weekends when needed
- Ability to maintain high energy and positive attitude through a long day
All are welcome to apply. Interested candidates should e-mail email@example.com with “Events and Programming Associate” and your name in the subject line. In the body of the e-mail, submit a cover letter expressing your qualifications and why you like public events. Attach your resume in .doc or .pdf format. Due to the volume of applications we receive, we will respond via email only to those we wish to interview. Phone calls and office visits will NOT be accepted.