Bryant Park Games Host
Bryant Park seeks seasonal staff responsible for overseeing five game areas. Game areas are designated zones for playing board games, lawn games and ping pong, putting, and doing art projects. Host serves two valuable functions:
- serves as an ambassador of the park and interacts with the public
- facilitates activities, which includes being aware of the rules of play, actively demonstrating and explaining games to participants, and maintaining equipment
Responsibilities for each game area vary slightly but all include: setting up each game at the start of the day and making it available for public use; maintaining appearance of game areas throughout the day by cleaning equipment, picking up litter, and neatly storing equipment not in use; engaging the public, fostering participation, and ensuring respectful use of the space; considering ways to improve the activities offered to the public, then reporting observations accurately and comprehensively to supervisor.
Host is expected to uphold the employer’s mission: to create a rich and dynamic visual, cultural, and intellectual outdoor experience for New Yorkers and visitors alike in one of the greatest public spaces in the world. Successful hosts may have opportunities for growth, including working in the Bryant Park executive office, organizing new programs for the public, and supervising daily operations.
Applicants can preview Bryant Park’s game areas by visiting bryantpark.org and looking under the ‘Things to Do’ tab.
Qualified applicants may be recommended for similar host positions at Plaza33 and Herald & Greeley Square Parks in Midtown. Hosts work 20-40 hours per week.
Hosts with art and craft instruction experience are encouraged to apply.
- BA preferred – consideration given to undergraduate work plus experience in recreation, coaching or park management
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills; ability to work in a team environment
- Willingness and desire to get hands dirty
- Outgoing, playful, mature, positive and proactive
- Experience in customer service
- Responsible and detail-oriented with excellent observation skills
- Ability and willingness to work exclusively outside and stand for long periods of time
- Ability to lift 25 pounds or more
- Ability and willingness to work evenings and weekends
- Ability and willingness to staff large Bryant Park events, including Film Festival and Musical Chairs
- Access to a cell phone with photo and texting capability
- Access and responsiveness to email
- Communicate politely and positively with the public and serve as an ambassador of the park
- Maintain appearance of game areas and equipment
- Facilitate game play, and manage time limits
- Report equipment needs and behavior incidents in a timely manner
- On a daily basis, setup and takedown free activities offered to the public
- Record and report the number of participants
- Staff special events or tournaments
- Take direction from management staff regarding special assignments
Position begins with a three-week trial period at $11 per hour. Increase to $13 pending good job performance.
Position generally runs from April to November. Hours are generally 11am to 8pm with some exceptions for special events. Preference will be given to candidates with more flexibility in their schedules, and a genuine desire to work hard.
To apply, email resume and cover letter as attachments with “Games Host" in the subject line to firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications that do not meet these requirements will be discarded.