Photography and video shoots
All film, video, and photo shoots to take place in Bryant Park
require a permit.
A Bryant Park permit is required for shooting in the entire park, stairs, entrances, sidewalks surrounding the park (5th Avenue, 6th Avenue, 42nd Street, and 40th Street), and the terrace in front of the New York Public Library. Permission from the Library may be necessary if the building facade, marble steps, or lions are included in a shot.
Most shoots will be required to pay a site fee.
Why is there a fee to hold a shoot in a public park? Bryant Park receives no city money and is funded entirely by earned funds. A large part of this revenue comes from fees charged to those who wish to use park space for their own profitable, promotional, or exclusive use. All site fees are used to maintain and improve the park's beauty and functionality.
Site fees are determined by the following criteria:
- Type of shoot (editorial, commercial, stock, etc. All wedding photography is free)
- Duration of shoot
- Size of the crew
- Amount of equipment and complexity of setup used
- Location and amount of space used within the park
- Publicity potential for Bryant Park
- Neither people nor equipment are allowed in the flower beds at any time
- When the lawn is closed to the public it is also closed to film and video crews
- BPC must have advance notice of all electrical needs, (e.g. whether or not you provide your own generators)
- If you plan to conduct interviews of park visitors, BPC must pre-approve interview questions
- BPC must pre-approve of the script for scenes to be shot on park grounds.
- All fees, insurance certificates, city permits, and final permit application must be received before permission to film will be granted
Applying for a permit.
Complete the application including the site map indicating the exact location in the park where you wish to shoot.
"Contribution" slot should be left empty, as a site fee will be determined by the BPC Photo/Video Shoot Coordinator.
Upon receipt of your application, you will be notified of a site fee and if a certificate of insurance or damage deposit will be necessary.
Your completed application should be faxed to: 212-719-3499, Attn: Photo/Video Shoot Coordinator