Film & Photography
All film, video, and photo shoots taking place in Bryant Park require a permit.
A Bryant Park permit is required for shooting in the entire park, stairs, entrances, sidewalks surrounding the park (Fifth Avenue, Sixth Avenue, 42nd Street, and 40th Street), and the terrace in front of the New York Public Library. Permission from the Library may be necessary if the building facade, marble steps, or lions are included in a shot.
Most shoots will be required to pay a site fee. Bryant Park receives no city money and is funded entirely by earned funds. A large part of this revenue comes from fees charged to those who wish to use park space for their own profitable, promotional, or exclusive use. All site fees are used to maintain and improve the park’s beauty and functionality.
Site fees are determined by the following criteria:
Type of shoot (editorial, commercial, etc.)
- Duration of shoot
- Crew size
- Amount of equipment and complexity of setup
- Location and amount of space used within the park
- Wedding photography is free, but still requires a permit
Below are the standard guidelines for filming in Bryant Park:
- Neither people nor equipment are allowed in the flower beds at any time
- When the lawn or rink is closed to the public it is also closed to film and video crews
- BPC must have advance notice of all electrical needs, generators are not allowed in the park
- If you plan to conduct interviews of park visitors, BPC must pre-approve interview questions
- BPC must pre-approve the script for scenes to be shot on park grounds
- All fees, insurance certificates, city permits, and final permit application must be received before permission to film will be granted
- Complete the application, including a site map indicating the exact location in the park where you wish to shoot
- “Contribution” slot should be left empty, as a site fee will be determined by BPC
- Upon receipt of your application, you will be notified of a site fee and if a certificate of insurance or damage deposit will be necessary
- Your completed application should be emailed to: firstname.lastname@example.org