Title: Winter Associate
Location: New York City
The Bryant Park Corporation is hiring part-time, seasonal staff responsible for assisting with customer service at the Bank of America Winter Village. The Winter Village is one of the most popular winter destinations in NYC and includes Manhattan’s only free-admission ice skating rink, iceless curling, Cozy Igloos, and more than 150 Holiday shops.
Winter Associates can expect to work in the following areas:
- Staffing the Bryant Park Tickets + Info kiosk. Responsibilities include but are not limited to assisting visitors with booking skate times and answering questions about the Rink, Holiday Shops, and other park amenities.
- Winter Village communications. Responsibilities include but are not limited to responding to general inquiries via email, phone, and in-person, assisting the public with rebooking and refunds of tickets, and providing advice and guidance to guests. Associates can expect to work at the in-park kiosk and in the executive office.
- Staffing the Bryant Park Shop. Responsibilities include but are not limited to opening and closing the kiosk, taking inventory and restocking merchandise, maintaining a clean and organized product display, processing transactions, actively engaging with customers, answering questions, and recommending products.
- Helping with periodic office tasks, like filing, laminating, event prep, and research.
- Assisting with large public events such as the Bryant Park Tree Lighting, Santa’s Corner, and Kids Week. Responsibilities at these events include but are not limited to crowd control, checking tickets, and answering questions from members of the public.
- Other tasks to be determined.
- Associates can expect to work 10-40 hours per week. Preference will be given to candidates who are willing to work on nights, weekends, and holidays.
- At least 1 year of retail sales, customer service, or visitor services experience.
- High school diploma or GED certificate.
Required Knowledge, Skills Abilities
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills; ability to work in a team environment.
- Willingness and desire to get hands dirty.
- Outgoing, mature, positive and proactive.
- Responsible and detail-oriented with excellent observation skills.
- Organized and able to prioritize tasks in order of importance.
- Ability and willingness to work evenings, weekends, and major holidays.
- Access and responsiveness to email and text.
- Ability to lift up to 25 pounds.
- Ability and willingness to work outside in a variety of weather conditions and stand for long periods of time
- Cash handling experience.
- Bachelor’s Degree.
What We Offer
- Perks include free skate rentals at Winter Village, and discounts at select park food vendors.
- Opportunities for professional development, through which participants can develop skills and knowledge applicable to the urban planning, event, and public space management fields, among others.
- This position begins with a three-week trial period. Associates who receive a passing evaluation after 3 weeks will be invited to continue in their position.
The Winter Associate role will start in mid-October, and is expected to run through early March. The length of the season is subject to change.
Candidates should email their resume and a cover letter to email@example.com
The Bryant Park Corporation and the 34th Street Partnership, two leading Business Improvement Districts (non-profit public-private organizations) in Midtown Manhattan, are looking for a Graphic Design Intern (GDI) to join their award-winning in-house design team. The GDI will be responsible for assisting with the research, planning, presentation, refinement, and execution of graphic design components of urban, public space and architectural projects. They will join a multidisciplinary team that includes professionals with experience in graphic design, industrial design, architecture, landscape architecture and urban planning, and work within an office that includes departments of Capital Projects, Events, Horticulture, Sanitation, Operations, Security, and Digital Media, IT, and others. This is a full-time $18/hour internship starting as soon as possible. The internship will be for a period of six months; subject to review with potential for rate increase at three months; and it may later lead to a permanent position if the candidate fulfills all the necessary requirements and the internship is completed successfully.
Responsibilities (included but not limited to)
- Reports directly to the Associate Director of Graphic Design and to other senior designers, and works with interdisciplinary teams on projects as required.
- Creates and assists with the design of sign systems, environmental graphics for urban design, website graphics, motion graphics, brochures and flyers, maps, and information architecture.
- Creates and assists with photo simulations to help staff and partners visualize urban design projects.
- Creates and assists with print and digital presentations for internal and external design meetings and NY City agency submissions.
- Undertakes site visits and takes photographs and measurements.
- Performs field and online research.
- The applicant must be a graduate from a Graphic Design undergraduate program; no associate or unrelated degrees will be considered.
- Applicant should demonstrate an interest in urban design, public spaces and parks.
- Proficient in environmental and print graphic design: has knowledge of basic visual design principles such as typography, composition, form, and color; visual problem solving; print design, layout and mechanicals; online design and information architecture.
- Self-motivated, organized, and detail-oriented.
- Able to work on several projects at a time, quickly and accurately. Works well with tight and/or overlapping deadlines.
- Skilled in design software applications, required: proficiency in the latest versions of Adobe CC: InDesign, Illustrator, Photoshop; (MS Office 356 Suite: PowerPoint, Word, Excel, Outlook). Mac and PC-based office: cross-platform flexibility, and 3-D design applications a plus.
- Has good outdoor and indoor/studio photography skills.
- Must have the ability to listen, follow direction, be responsive to change and feedback and have a willingness to collaborate with all the designers on the team; also must be comfortable working directly with members of other departments.
- Proactive, brings curiosity and their own ideas; contributes to group discussion.
- Has a desire to learn and work in a collaborative design environment.
Qualified candidates should e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org with only “Graphic Design Intern” in the subject line. No phone calls please. Top applicants will be contacted to schedule an interview with portfolio. Please clearly label your files, keep images and text in your attachments legible, and keep files sizes to a minimum. We will not accept emails over 10MB.
Please include in your email:
• A cover letter expressing why you’re interested in the position (in body of email)
• A resume (in an attached PDF)
• A minimum of three to a maximum of eight samples of your work (in an attached PDF)