The Bryant Park Corporation and the 34th Street Partnership are hiring a full-time Project Director. The award-winning not-for-profit Business Improvement Districts operating under a single management structure, share a mission to improve the quality of the commercial, physical, and public space environments in Midtown Manhattan.
This is a dynamic job with a wide range of responsibilities that vary seasonally. The Project Director is responsible for managing the execution of urban, public space, architectural, and site utility projects in both districts. They will join a multidisciplinary in-house Capital Projects team that includes professionals with backgrounds in architecture, landscape architecture, urban design, electrical construction, carpentry, and several multi-skilled technicians and craftsman; and work within an office that includes departments of Capital Projects, Events, Horticulture, Information Technology, Sanitation, Operations, Retail and Visitor Services, Security, and Digital Media.
This is a full time in-person (not remote) position starting in February 2023. Office hours are typically Monday through Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. with one hour for lunch. The position involves outdoor work. Due to the nature of managing field work, candidates must be willing to work occasionally at nights and on weekends.
- Develop and implement capital projects of all sizes, including a large number of small projects at any given time in park and plaza spaces, architectural renovations, large scale public events, placemaking for events and programs, and other public space and urban design projects
- Field observation, site visits, construction supervision including contractor management, project cost control, detailed project record keeping, permitting and approval processes
- Manages contract procurement and expenditure management, bid process management including development of RFPs, contracts and agreements, as well as quality control and implementation of field construction
- A minimum of 10 years of relevant experience and expertise with project management methodologies, design and construction practices and management, contract management, with a demonstrated competency in business administration
- Highly motivated, able to work independently to coordinate complex activities, prioritize conflicting demands and meet deadlines in a fast-paced environment
- Experience working for private sector organization(s) preferred
- Experience working in the field with contractors required
- Bachelor's Degree in Architecture/Engineering, Construction/ Project Management, or related field required
- Experience administering contracts; strong financial and analytical skills; vendor relationship management and issues resolution
- Knowledge of AutoCAD (Revit experience a plus)
- Computer proficiency in: Excel, MS Word, Outlook, PowerPoint, Internet search skills and the ability to learn new applications quickly. Comfort with MS Excel essential
- Must be authorized to work lawfully in the United States
The Bryant Park Corporation and the 34th Street Partnership, two leading Business Improvement Districts (non-profit public-private organizations) in Midtown Manhattan, are looking for a Graphic Design Intern (GDI) to join their award-winning in-house design team. The GDI will be responsible for assisting with the research, planning, presentation, refinement, and execution of graphic design components of urban, public space and architectural projects. They will join a multidisciplinary team that includes professionals with experience in graphic design, industrial design, architecture, landscape architecture and urban planning, and work within an office that includes departments of Capital Projects, Events, Horticulture, Sanitation, Operations, Security, and Digital Media, IT, and others. This is a full-time $18/hour internship starting as soon as possible. The internship will be for a period of six months; subject to review with potential for rate increase at three months; and it may later lead to a permanent position if the candidate fulfills all the necessary requirements and the internship is completed successfully.
Responsibilities (included but not limited to)
- Reports directly to the Associate Director of Graphic Design and to other senior designers, and works with interdisciplinary teams on projects as required.
- Creates and assists with the design of sign systems, environmental graphics for urban design, website graphics, motion graphics, brochures and flyers, maps, and information architecture.
- Creates and assists with photo simulations to help staff and partners visualize urban design projects.
- Creates and assists with print and digital presentations for internal and external design meetings and NY City agency submissions.
- Undertakes site visits and takes photographs and measurements.
- Performs field and online research.
- The applicant must be a graduate from a Graphic Design undergraduate program; no associate or unrelated degrees will be considered.
- Applicant should demonstrate an interest in urban design, public spaces and parks.
- Proficient in environmental and print graphic design: has knowledge of basic visual design principles such as typography, composition, form, and color; visual problem solving; print design, layout and mechanicals; online design and information architecture.
- Self-motivated, organized, and detail-oriented.
- Able to work on several projects at a time, quickly and accurately. Works well with tight and/or overlapping deadlines.
- Skilled in design software applications, required: proficiency in the latest versions of Adobe CC: InDesign, Illustrator, Photoshop; (MS Office 356 Suite: PowerPoint, Word, Excel, Outlook). Mac and PC-based office: cross-platform flexibility, and 3-D design applications a plus.
- Has good outdoor and indoor/studio photography skills.
- Must have the ability to listen, follow direction, be responsive to change and feedback and have a willingness to collaborate with all the designers on the team; also must be comfortable working directly with members of other departments.
- Proactive, brings curiosity and their own ideas; contributes to group discussion.
- Has a desire to learn and work in a collaborative design environment.
Qualified candidates should e-mail email@example.com with only “Graphic Design Intern” in the subject line. No phone calls please. Top applicants will be contacted to schedule an interview with portfolio. Please clearly label your files, keep images and text in your attachments legible, and keep files sizes to a minimum. We will not accept emails over 10MB.
Please include in your email:
• A cover letter expressing why you’re interested in the position (in body of email)
• A resume (in an attached PDF)
• A minimum of three to a maximum of eight samples of your work (in an attached PDF)